Friday, September 01, 2006

Do make promises, or do you commit???????

Hey everyone. Hope you are all well and living in your power. Today I am writing about the difference between making promises and making commitments. I know for myself that when I promise something it seems almost childish. I don't take the word too seriously. Instead, when one of my kids asks me to do something and they say, "do you promise", I hear in my head, "will you commit to this?"

Here's and experience I had yesterday. My son is getting older and wanted me to make his room like an "office" yesterday. I "promised" to help. So......when he came home from school and asked, "Are we going to make my office", I really didn't feel like it. But.....I promised. And like I said, in my mind I committed, to help him. And so we made his office. He was elated and feeling very grown up. He made signs for his door, listened to Rock n' Roll in his room, and was happy. Happy until he wants the next thing. You know how that goes.

I want to pose a question to you all. How seriously do you all take your commitments you make to others and yourself? I think that every time we make a commitment and break it, it changes us just a little bit, for the worse. We know in our subconscious that we didn't follow through with something again. All that does is damage our progress in changing and stifles growth.

In the past, I was the queen of starting things I didn't finish. I would start them, become totally obsessed and then just stop. You can read all about this and other issues in my book, What a Difference a Day Makes: A Survival Guide for Women. What I realized, and is one of the principles in my book, is that I was searching for something. I was searching for something to fill me up. Like I've said before, I wasn't living in my Power and I was always trying to fill up that space that was empty. I had a wonderful family, great husband, kids and was generally happy, but was still always searching, always searching. The problem was that I didn't realize I was searching for anything. I truly believed that what I was doing at the time was what I wanted to do. And I would fight you to the bone to prove it.

Once I realized what I was up to, and how it was affecting me, I began to make the change. I began to develop the tools I've laid out in the book, and learned how to get through the struggles and come out the other end happier.

What do you think?
How do you get through your day?
Do you make promises or commitments?
Are you using the principles in the book to help you?
Have you begun to see anything in your life that would cause you
to want to make the change?


Email me and let me know what you think. Ask me questions. Let's start working together to find our path to empowerment.

My intention for you all today is to start finding your Circle of Sisterhood. Notice if you are making empty promises or are you committing and keeping those commitments. Go to my website and see how you can begin finding your Circle and start on the journey to finding your Power Within.

I am going to be setting up a "Live Chat" on my website. A sort of impromptu Circle of Sisterhood meeting. Just check out my sight for the date and time. Let's all get together informally and start finding each other and walking down the path to empowerment.
It will change your life as it did mine.

And always remember, we are in this together!

No comments: