Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Do you have an Emotional Hangover Today????

Hi Everyone. Don't forget to go to Inside Success Radio and cast your vote for me to be interviewed. I need all the help I can get.

When I was younger and much more emotional than now, I would have instances where my emotions were completely out of whack. Whether it be over a break up, stress, work or anything that would lead me to a meltdown I would be totally exhausted the next day. I would find myself wondering why I was so worn out.

I finally realized, with age and wisdom (I think), that I was emotionally hungover. Now many of you out there know what a "hangover" is, but for those who have been living under a rock, I'll explain it. A hangover is typically associated with too much indulgence in alcohol. The next day, you feel like you were run over my a truck. It is because your body is dehydrated and it is recovering from the abuse it took.

Emotionally when we put our minds through the ringer, the next day, it tries to recuperate. It's the same thing. I bring this up today because yesterday was 9/11 and many, many of you were emotionally distraught. So, today you may wake up thinking, "Well thank God I got through that" and still feel awful. You're tired, irritable and not really feeling like going through the day.

I am suggesting that today you be gently on yourself. Don't make those big decisions today. If you have some sick time, take the day off and be good to yourself. Send the kids to school and watch movies. Eat for Christ's sake! Take a long bubble bath. Since summer is ending, walk around your house and cut some flowers that will be dead in a few weeks. Put them in a vase and look at them. (That's my favorite thing!) And for those who have some extra cash laying around, go to get a facial, pedicure, etc. Do something you normally wouldn't do for yourself. And accept it! I'll say it again for those who blocked it out. Accept the kindness from others.

You must be gentle on yourself. It's extremely important that you deflate that stress. Even more important.....if you didn't cry yesterday.....do it! Sadness comes out in many different ways. We've talked about this before. Let yourself go. You'll feel a world of difference later.

How will you deal with your emotional hangover today?

Let me know what you did to get through this day. I want to know what you think and how you are feeling.

My intention for you today is to be good to yourself.
Follow the principles in the book, What a Difference a Day Makes: A Survival Guide for Women:

  • Let others help you feel better. Call your women!!!! Maybe they need you.
  • Dance in the living room to some old music.
  • Shake the dust off your journal and write.
  • Sit in the yard and listen to the birds talking.
  • Tell your little devil to take the day off.
  • Make some declarations in the mirror and believe them to be true.
  • Talk to your God today. He's listening!
  • Let it out. Let it out. Let it out.
  • Accept your husband or friend's offering of love and understanding graciously without argument.
  • And remember tonight when you lay down to sleep to record what you've done RIGHT today. Remind yourself that you are doing well. That you are living a good life. Be grateful for what surrounds you, even if it is not exactly what you want.

And always remember, we are in this together.

Kerri

No comments: