Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Is honesty the best policy?



Good Morning Everyone! Is honestly the best policy? I have to say that throughout my book, this is the most important. One of the reasons people find it so difficult to change aspects of their lives or how they are living it is because it takes brutal honesty to look at yourself and accept what the truth is. Let me give you a little example of what I am talking about.

A while back, I started really getting into Ebay. It started out small and before you knew it, I was selling everything in the house. Next, I started going to stores and buying things on sale and reselling them. It was an all day, every day activity that took up all of my time. I figured the kids could fend for themselves since I was "working." At night, when my husband came home, I would be clicking away on the laptop. Click, click, clickety click. That made for a great relationship.

Finally, one day, I stopped and looked around and said, "What the hell am I doing?" My house was like a thrift shop. My music room was jammed with used and new clothes. I had become a pack rat. Needless to say, I had to be brutally honest with myself. A change had to be made! I had to ask myself, "Why did I let this get so out of control?" After some honest soul searching and multiple donations to Goodwill, I realized that I was trying to fill something up inside of me that was missing. Now, when a mother says that there is something missing inside, she feels like she is a bad mother. Guilt! How could I feel like I was missing something when I have such a beautiful family? The truth is that I am not just a mother! I am a wife, sister, aunt, daughter, and woman. It's a difficult thing to accept.

Change is necessary. Change is good. Change is the hardest thing to accomplish.

What I am saying is that if we are honest with ourselves about who we really are, wonderful things can emerge. You will see life with a new perspective. When you read "What A Difference A Day Makes: A Survival Guide for Women" remember that the one constant is to be completely honest. In the beginning it may be difficult, but as with all change and all things we do on a daily basis, it will become habit.

Today I want you to pay attention to how honest you are with yourself. When you find yourself settling for a situation or making up excuses, look at yourself. Think about how honest you are being. You'll see the difference!

No comments: