Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Why do we care so much?


Have you ever noticed that a lot of things that we do in life and the decisions we make are based on what other people might think? When did we become so concerned with other people's opinions? Why is the grass always greener on the other side?

Well, I've blogged about this before and I am going to do it again because it seems to be a recurring discussion amongst the women I am in contact with.

I think it can all be chalked up to experience. When I first had children and went out into public, I definately cared about what other women were thinking. The crooked looks and the awful stares. I would constantly second guess myself and actually get angry with my children for the scenes they were creating. How ridiculous is that? Caring about what other people, people I don't know and probably will never see again, think about how I am raising my children. I cannot press upon you all how important it is to believe in yourselves. If you know in your heart that you are doing what is right, whether it be with your family or anything else, you must consistently remind yourself of this. Something that helps me with this is making a statement to myself. Not out loud because then people will think you're crazy too. I will say to myself, "Will this matter tomorrow or even in 15 minutes?"

Now if you know deep down in your heart that you are not doing the right thing related to your children and such, then you should read yesterday's blog about honesty. Some of us find it much easier just to let things slide, but unfortunately, that becomes a habit and spins out of control. Remember, everything you do on a consistent basis whether it be action or thought becomes habit. Habits are fairly easy to put into place but are very difficult to break. All of you smokers out there understand that.

One of the best ways to start to become more confident in your convictions related to people pleasing is to do something you dread and make it fun. Sit on that park bench with your kids running wild and enjoying themselves. When you get one of those dreaded looks or comments, just smile and say, "kids will be kids." Or, if you're in the supermarket and your child is a little bit excited, look at the other mother's or that old lady who forgot what it was like to be a mother with small children and say, "Aren't they wonderful?"

For those of you who don't have children and and are still in the "single" world, wear that dress that you love but you think everyone else won't like. Turn up your music and don't worry about the neighbors. Jump for Joyfullness and truly feel it in your bones because remember, we all have the "Power Within" to become whoever and whatever we want to be.

Today I want you to be confident and remember to smile at yourself in the mirror. Listen to some music you haven't listened to in a long time. Have that Frappucino.

You'd be amazed at how others will admire your sense of confidence. But we don't care about what others think anymore, Right?

No comments: