Thursday, October 05, 2006

How do you plan to get through the Holidays?

Hey Everyone. Sometimes I find that I can easily lose sight of what's important in life. How many of you find this problem in your lives? We worry constantly about all of the "stuff" that we may lose or how we may be inconvenienced if we don't get 2000 cable channels. I often wish that I could go back to the easier times when things were slow and steady. Kids played outside. They used their imaginations. There was one car in the driveway and daddy came home at 5:00. Unfortunately, it's not like that anymore and if it was, I wouldn't be able to blog everyday.

So what does this all mean? Not much! All it means to me is that I have to be grateful for everyday and realize that my family has it much better than many other families out there. In fact, my life today is a thousand times better than it was when I grew up.

This time of year is beautiful in most places. The leaves are turning, the crisp air is moving in and many of us begin to prepare for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Let the games begin! I have made a promise to myself that this year I am going to focus on what this all means. If I am going to give gifts, instead of going out on a shopping binge, I want all of my gifts to my family to reflect something from me. Not from TJ Max. Sorry everyone in my family, this year isn't going to be about designer this and I got this on sale that.

I hope you can all join me in reflecting on what's truly important. Why do we do all of the things we do during this time of year? Ask yourself, is it really as enjoyable as it once was? Do you feel that anticipation that you did as a child? Remember how wonderful it felt to give your parents that gift you made at school and how wonderfully they accepted it. I would like to feel that way again. Obviously, I can't because I've been jaded by age, but if I can capture just a glimpse of what my children are feeling, it will all have been worth it.

After all, isn't it all about family? That's how I would like it to be in my home. I plan to achieve this and pass it on. How am I going to do it? I'm not sure yet. All I can do is take baby steps and enjoy the journey. What would you do? Let me know.

If you haven't had a chance to get my book, What a Difference a Day Makes: A Survival Guide for Women, now is the time. This season is about change and together, using the principles in my book, we can make our lives what we've always wanted them to be.

My intention for you all today is to refocus your priorities. Let's truly take stock in how we are living our lives. If faith still important to you? Do you just stockpile everything in the house? I know that more stuff makes us feel secure but, come on! Eighteen rolls of paper towels? You get what I'm trying to say. Let's take this road together.

And always remember, we are in this together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kerri, I just wanted to tell you that I look forward to you blogs(and your reminder e-mails!) everyday. You've got such great things to say. Hope to see you soon!