Monday, October 02, 2006

Will you be their rock or their excuse?????????

Hi Everyone. This weekend I had a chance to reintroduce myself to my two little girls. It's always a good thing to have alone time with your kids. When Mom and Dad are together, there are two versions of how things are done. Although it's awesome for us to be together as a family, when one parent is alone with the kids, they get a different view of each parent. And, we are different. Men and women are different. That is not news.

So, my son slept over his uncle's house, some male bonding, and me and my girls did some "girly" things. What do you think we did first? Shop! We went and got some Halloween decorations. We later put them up, made some cookies, put on a fire in the fireplace and read books and ate cookies. What's better than that?

Spending time with children alone can sometimes be a frightening concept. The first thing we think of is, "What are we going to do all day?" Trying to get everything done in the house should not even be in the equation. It won't happen. I find that when I try to go against the grain of reality, it never works out the way I thought it would and it only brings frustration and feelings of defeat.

It's very easy to entertain little girls. Although all girls are different, we are innately the same. We all like the same things, we just learn at an early age to ignore those feelings of wanting to be pretty or looking nice. When we don't have someone to talk to or guide us through those feelings, we learn how to turn them into something else. Girls are known for self destructive behavior or making negative decisions related to their body image. And as we know, these feelings follow us into adulthood. It's only then that we begin to see the damage and begin to repair it.

But, wouldn't it have been nice when you were a little girl to have your mom or some other influential woman in your life to say, "you're beautiful" or "those girls just don't know you" or "let's go fix your hair" etc, etc, etc.....

When I was a kid, I was a tomboy. Not because I wanted to be, but because I was too embarrassed to look pretty. I can't tell you why here in this blog because it would be five pages long, but I have my suspicions and I think I am right on the money. I can say that one of the reasons was that I had to be tough. I wouldn't allow myself to be affected by life.

Email me if you want to talk more about this topic.

All I know is that I am here for my girls and my little boy to answer questions, give hugs, set boundaries, and all that good stuff that I just wasn't privvy to as a kid.

How are you supporting your kids today?

My intention for you today is to look at your children through a child's eyes. Listen to what they are saying and realize that you are their rock.

And always remember, that we are in this together!

Kerri

No comments: