Friday, November 03, 2006

Are You Doing the Next Right Thing???

Hey Everyone. Yesterday, I saw that Sister Cindy Mahoney passed away from Lung Cancer due to her work down at the World Trade Center. I watched her interview and listened to how much work she did down there. It suddenly struck me how much the volunteers down there have been suffering since they helped down there.

So, I started thinking about selflessness. How many of you can truly say that you give to others selflessly. I learned a long time ago that when we give to others, our problems are lessened greatly. It's funny, I am asking you all this question but I have to also pose the question to myself. How much of myself do I give. Am I willing to give to others if it means taking away from myself or my family? It a hard question to answer.

So, let's all start with baby steps. I've blogged about this before and I go into it in more detail in my book, What a Difference a Day Makes: A Survival Guide for Women. Can we all make a small commitment to do a little something for someone else.

I know that there are many times when I get frustrated with everyone else around me because things don't seem to be going my way. Should I blame them? Why am I so focussed on myself? Why is it that everyday I am thinking of me? Why, why, why, blah, blah, blah........

Just think of it this way, giving feels good. It's like that commercial on television. One guy picks up the baby doll, someone sees him and holds the door for someone else, someone sees him and does the next right thing, etc. If we could all just do what we know in our hearts is right, wouldn't that be great? What would the next right thing for you to do today be?

My intention for you all today is to do the next right thing that is in your heart. When grandma calls and you see it on the caller id, pick up the phone. You could make her day!

And always remember, we are in this together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerri,

I think that is a great question. Yes, I would give to someone else if I knew it would be taking away from my family as long as it is not hurting my family to do it. In fact, most of us do everyday whether it is time, or monetary items. I think the hardest part is balancing both giving and taking, because too much of either can alter a family greatly.