Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Honesty, honesty, honesty!!!!

Hey Everybody. It's been an eventful morning. All the kids are off from school today. Nuf said. I want to talk today about honesty. In my book, What a Difference a Day Makes: A Survival Guide for Women, I talk a lot about honesty. Being honest with ourselves about where we are in our lives is so important.

Sometimes I get very excited about new things going on in my life. The excitement often masks the things that I am not facing on a daily basis, i.e. the laundry. By the way, the laundry is my least favorite thing to do. So, although my new ventures on continuing on the path of my destiny is so wonderful and imperative to my spiritual growth, I have to always stay grounded in what I know to be true. The truth for me today is that I am a mother and wife. These are first and foremost. How do I keep this balance? I constantly am checking my motives in what I am doing and making sure that what needs to get done gets done.

There are people in my life who have real issues. Some are uncontrollable. And although they have a set course to continue on their path to recovery, their illness causes them to waiver and step off the path every once in a while. This is where honesty comes in. The next question is are they capable of being totally honest with themselves or does their illness inhibit their ability to make the right judgements. This I have no answer for.

We should always take stock of how truthful we are being with ourselves. Are we looking at the reality of the day or are we looking at what we wish reality would be. Wishful thinking is not truth! And in cases of those of us with mental illness, we have to be doubly honest and forge through the illness by asking for help and accepting it.

We all have lapses of being open to assistance, but then we pull back and say, "I don't need it!"
Mental illness is an insidious disease and sometimes we are not capable of honesty because we are in a different place in our minds. Give yourself the gift of allowing someone else to help.
If you suffer from mental illness, it is okay to not be right.

My intention for you today is to practice looking at yourselves and being honest about where your feet are right now.

And always remember, we are in this together!

Kerri

No comments: