Monday, October 30, 2006

Music, music, music, music, music...........

Hey Everyone. Yesterday was my birthday. It was a great day. I went to NYC to see Spamalot. The Monty Python play. It was very, very funny.

Anyway, before the play I was in a Broadway store and found an old CD of a Broadway revival that I used to listen to when I was kid. It was called, "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown."

A while back, I blogged about how important music is in our lives. As we get older and get busier with kids and jobs and all of the things we have to do, we forget how great music can make us feel.

So, we're in the car on our way back from the theatre and we decided to listen to the CD. I was instantly brought back to when I was a kid. All of these great feelings came rushing back. There's something that music does for me. I don't know if you guys out there get the same feelings, but music can change my mood in an instant.

Where I am going with this is that when you're in a negative mood or feeling down, throw on some music that you love or dig out those old tapes you used to listen to as a kid or teenager. There was a reason we listened to music all the time when we were younger. It was because it made us feel good.

Also, not having to listen to Barney and the Wiggles constantly in the car is a blessing. That stuff can really start to get to you after a while. Introduce your kids to the stuff that you actually liked as a kid. A while back I made a couple of CD's for the kids with all the music I liked as a kid. The CD consisted of, Willy Wonka, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Muppets, School House Rock and my all time favorite, Really Rosie.

We all have favorites and if you sign up for one of those online music download sites, you can pratically find anything and burn a CD. Then get rid of all that Disney crap, unless you like that Disney crap, no offense.

I think it's so important for us as parents to bring things to our children, if you have the means, that can open their minds up to different things. For instance, when I was a kids, I loooooved Annie. I sung it in the shower, listened to the tape constantly and thought I could become her one day. On my twelth birthday, my great Aunt Anna and my mother brought me to NYC to see Annie on Broadway. I was so excited and in awe. The best part for me was actually watching the orchestra. I was amazed that a group of people could make such wonderful music. I don't know how I thought the music got there, but I was elated.

Those are the things I want my kids to see. I don't want them to just think everything is electronically created. There are people behind everything. It's a beautiful thing.

So, my intention for you all today is to dig out some old music, throw it on, and drift back to an easier time when things weren't so, so important. If only for a few minutes, you can become that kid again and feel that kid feeling. You know what I mean.

And always remember, we are in this together.

No comments: